Many dogs are excellent guards and aggression against uninvited guests is their direct duty. But sometimes the situation gets out of control, and then the dog growls at the owner. Unfortunately, often the owners do not try to understand the situation, especially when it comes to large animals, and immediately get rid of the pet, fearing serious consequences. But such behavior necessarily has a reason, and it is far from always associated with malice. What can cause a similar reaction and, most importantly, how to ward off a pet from this bad habit?
What is the reason for this behavior
The dog can not only growl, but also demonstrate his negative attitude in other ways - to grin his teeth, bark, not to fulfill the task given to him. An angry animal can excessively sensitively guard its bowl, toys or other objects that the pet considers its own.
In addition, the dog is able to show excessive discontent during hygiene procedures, which are especially not like, for example, when cutting nails, combing the hair, using a trimmer.
But sometimes this behavior is not a sign of aggression, it signals that the pet is confused and feels defenseless. How can one find out the reason for a growl?
Experts identify several situations that can provoke a growl, anxiety and other emotions in a dog:
- Dog considers himself master of the house. Representatives of many breeds have a tendency to domination, which they often show when communicating with family members and other domestic animals. Often, spoiled individuals become leaders, as the owner makes a mistake, trying in every way to please his four-legged friend. The animal begins to be jealous of its things - food, toys, not allowing the owner to approach and take them. In addition, the dog can encroach on objects that do not belong to him. With a growl, he claims his rights and confirms that there is only one master in the house!
- The dog responds with aggression to cruelty. In this case, the situation is the opposite - the pet is constantly faced with cruelty directed at him, and the growl becomes a warning signal - not to approach. A dog can also growl when punished or scolded for misconduct or for no reason.
- A dog growls with a growl. Such behavior is inherent in males of adolescence, which not only grow, become stronger, but also try to assert themselves. During this period, many owners are faced with the fact that an obedient and flexible dog suddenly becomes uncontrollable. This is due to natural instincts - the animal shows its leadership qualities, and the goal of such behavior is the same - to become a leader. In addition to a growl, the dog can violate previously established boundaries, occupying the forbidden territory. Most often, the sleeping place of the owner acts in its quality. At the same time, there is no question of any fear, with all his appearance the dog shows his fearlessness and confirms its significance.
- Food aggression. In this situation, the puppy can grab a treat, biting his hand, growling when the owner strokes it during meals. An adult dog can grind or freeze, eating food, if at that time the owner comes too close or reaches out to the bowl. This behavior is corrected, for this there are several methods.
- Aggression of a puppy bitch. A mother always tries to protect her offspring - this is a strong innate instinct that helps bitches ensure the safety of their babies. During this period, she may be angry with other bitches, even without apparent reason. And at home, do not allow the owner's puppies, but most often this applies only to children.
- Pain response. Dogs, especially those that are too independent and active, are often injured, receiving external or internal damage. Sometimes the owners do not even know about it or the dog does not have visible wounds. Naturally, when touched, the pet can growl, pull away, whimper.
In almost all of these situations, except for the dominant manifestation, there is an irritant that provokes the dog. But the most difficult thing is to correct the errors of upbringing, in which the dog allows itself inappropriate behavior towards the owner.
Why does a dog have dominant behavior and how does it manifest
Dogs have been living next to humans for more than a thousand years, but at the same time, in fact, retain their flocking behavior. Only for a flock do they take the owner and the household. With proper upbringing, the dog perceives the owner as a leader, he must obey him. The leader must obey both the pet and other family members.
If the puppy was not immediately shown who is in charge of the house, then he perceives this as the possibility of independent choice. Naturally, he will appoint himself to this position, with pleasure becoming the leader of the pack, and his behavior will be appropriate.
The behavioral line of a leader develops gradually, starting with a little disobedience. The dog executes commands not the first time, waiting and evaluating the reaction of the owner. There is no question of any aggression in this case. Why, as a result, does the dog allow itself to growl at the owner?
The manifestation of anger and an animal grin signals that the dog has taken a dominant position in the house and considers himself the leader of the pack. To exclude such behavior, the pet must indicate its place from the first day of appearance in the house.
What signs of dog dominant behavior should alarm the owner?
- the dog has the audacity to go to bed in the place of the owner, and when trying to drive it starts to growl and bite;
- the first to rush for dinner, demanding tidbits (according to the rules, the dog should be fed only after the meal of all the other family members);
- drags food into the room and, again, when suppressing such behavior, begins to grin and growl;
- when guests come to the house, the dog’s behavior can be unpredictable - he may be curious, aggressive, and the owner is not able to calm the pet and remove it from the premises;
- during the walk the dog does not go near, but strives to move forward all the time;
- He doesn’t listen to commands, performs casually, during classes he tries to play as much as possible, obsessive behavior is observed.
Often, dogs perceive the superiority of adult family members, but children are considered equal to themselves or carried to an even lower rank. Naturally, with this attitude, the dog can growl at them, grin and nibble, even in cases where the dog does not allow itself such behavior with adults.
Most often, babies are not an "authority" for the pet, especially those that appeared in the house later than the animal or when the parents allow themselves to raise their voice for the child in the presence of the dog.
It doesn’t matter what makes the dog growl at the owner and other family members, such behavior must be fought. Indeed, according to statistics, about 80% of pets that allow themselves to behave this way can bite a person.
If the malice is not associated with a disease of the central nervous system, injuries and other pathological conditions, then you should start raising an overdone pet.
In working with too aggressive dogs, experts recommend the use of an ultrasonic whistle. His sound is so disagreeable to the ears of animals that the dog stops growling and grinning, so that he can no longer hear it. Gradually, he will begin to realize that his influence is associated with inappropriate behavior and will understand who is in charge of the house. In this case, the necessary reflexes are triggered.
Choosing the methods of re-education, it is necessary to take into account the type of aggression, habits and temperament of the pet. And if such behavior occurs in serious, large-sized dogs, then it is best to contact a dog handler who knows the pedigree features and has experience working with similar dogs. A large, strong pet is a big responsibility and it’s not worth risking your health - yours and your loved ones.
But, regardless of the size of the pet, it is important for the owner to restore his authority by becoming a real leader. The dog, of course, will not immediately accept the new state of affairs and will resist, but, having shown patience, endurance and fortitude, a person will be able to normalize the situation.
Otherwise, the dog of the guard or fighting breed can become a threat to others. And if a person initially does not have a strong character and does not have experience in communicating and raising such animals, then the idea of having such a pet should be immediately abandoned.
To restore the hierarchy, it is important for the owner to know the points of influence and take control over them. This includes the process of feeding, caressing, encouraging and punishing.
How to feed a dog
You should stop giving your pet food before eating it yourself or not feeding it during a general meal. It is important to teach a dog to eat only after a certain command and stop the process after hearing it. A well-bred dog should meekly give away a bowl, even if leftover food remains in it.
If the dog is trying to push the owner away from his bowl, he is advised to start feeding her, holding the dishes in one hand. Another aspect: you need to stop all attempts of begging and drive the dog away from the table. You can never retreat when you hear a growl, otherwise the dog will decide that this method works, and the owner immediately loses his leadership status.
Even a beloved, beloved doggie, in which the owner of the soul does not like, should receive a limited amount of affection. You can’t caress, praise and pet your pet all the time, because it perceives such behavior not as a manifestation of love, but as a recognition of its dominance.
It is advisable to use affection as a reward for well-executed teams, excellent behavior.
Watch the video if the dog growls at the owner
When to encourage and when to punish
Dogs are very sensitive and understand when they are treated fairly, and when they offend just like that, they are not just pets, but four-legged friends deserving of an honest attitude. Has your pet earned praise? He must get it. Delinquent? Punishment is inevitable, and the dog must understand what it is.
With punishment, you need to be careful and better use the method of leaders. In a flock of delinquent grab at the withers, pressed to the ground, using pressure, and hold for some time in this position.
If the dog is trying to resist, then he should be sharply raised into the air, this will give him a feeling of helplessness and reduce arrogance. A limp animal is considered to have yielded, recognizing the authority of a stronger rival.
This technique will give more positive results than swearing, insults, screaming. It can be used for any disobedience, both in training and in ordinary life. If the dog is too aggressive, you can use the muzzle to protect yourself.
Any behavioral problem is always easier to prevent than to fix it afterwards. In addition, some breeds practically cannot be re-educated, while specialists will have to work with others. Therefore, it is worth paying special attention to early socialization, education and training of the pet, while he is still a puppy. In this case, it is much easier to adjust the behavior and, if necessary, to remind who is the leader.