Why you need to take care of the hair of cats, how to comb out, which grooming tools to use at home - look for the answers to all these questions about caring for cat hair in our article.
Why take care of cat hair
Regular combing sessions clean the animal’s hair from dirt and dandruff, remove dead hairs, prevent hair from tangling and reduce the number of hairballs in the cat’s stomach.
Combing the animal, you give him a massage. This improves blood circulation in the upper layers of the skin, which leads to an improvement in the quality of the coat. In the hot season, combing helps prevent heat stroke.
Caring for your hair helps keep your home clean during molting. If you do not comb out a shedding cat, dead hair will fly around the apartment, accumulate on the floor, carpets, furniture and your clothes.
How to comb a cat
To care for your pet's hair, you need to purchase several grooming tools.
The basic tool is the comb, it is used at the beginning of the procedure for all cats.
The second tool is a brush, the look of which is selected taking into account the preferences of the owner and the characteristics of the coat of the pet.
Tools for combing cats
Suitable for grooming cats of all types and lengths of hair, with the exception of animals with very short hair. With this tool, it is best to untangle the fallen wool, remove the tangles.
- Pros: can be used while bathing a cat.
- Minus: not suitable for too short coat.
Price: from 120 to 350 rubles.
Medium long hair comb
Universal tool for grooming cats. It is best to choose a tool with Teflon-coated teeth or steel with rounded teeth.
- Pros: hygiene.
- Less: can build up static electricity.
Price: from 200 to 350 rubles.
Let out with the handle or without it. Use for the care of a short-haired pet with thin hair. Best suited for even combing of the cat’s outer hairs. Removes dried dirt.
- Pros: Helps detect and comb out parasites.
- Cons: suitable for combing out individual sections.
Price: from 80 to 300 rubles.
Comb with teeth of different lengths
Tool for combing long-haired cats with a dense undercoat.
- Plus: lays wool well.
- Minus: not suitable for short-haired pets.
Price: from 300 to 450 rubles.
Natural bristle brush comb with rubber pad
It is used for grooming short-haired and long-haired cats. Especially for combing "panties", "collar" and "suspension" of animals with long hair. Suitable for "combing" the furry tail. To do this, comb against the wool from the base to the tip.
- Pros: non-electrifying, gives shine to the coat.
- Cons: high cost.
Price: from 800 to 2400 rubles.
Comb brush with metal cloves
Used for combing and massage long-haired breeds. "Suspensions", "panties" are combed out. It is necessary to choose models with blunt teeth or with protective balls at the ends of the teeth.
- Pros: has a massage effect, suitable for styling wool.
- Cons: quickly fail, frequent replacement is required.
Price: from 500 to 800 rubles.
Slicker brush (slicker)
A tool for grooming longhair cats. It is intended for putting in order and "raising" wool on a tail, "collar" and "trousers". Most owners do not correctly use the slip, using it to comb shorthair cats and long-haired cats along the entire length of the body. Sharp, bent cloves can injure your pet’s skin. Cannot cope with tangles and tangled hairs.
- Pros: low price.
- Cons: not suitable for continuous use - tears out the undercoat, not used for short-haired breeds.
Price: from 80 to 300 rubles.
Natural bristle brush with nylon bristles
Nylon bristles add extra rigidity to natural bristles. Thanks to this, the cat's hair is combed deeper, a natural shine appears. It is used for combing dry shampoo powder used in show-class animals in preparation for exhibitions.
- Pros: gives a natural shine.
- Cons: can be electrified.
Price: from 500 to 1000 rubles.
Available with different tooth pitch. Used for combing cats with long and fluffy hair. The teeth rotate around its axis, which helps to gently comb the animal. Can be used to unravel tangles.
- Plus: does not pull out the hair.
- Minus: not always available on free sale.
Price: from 200 to 380 rubles.
Rubberized Slicker Comb
Rubber cushion on the handle with rubber protrusions of different lengths, shapes and densities. The size is chosen depending on the size of the pet's hair.
- Pros: stimulates blood circulation, accelerates shedding.
- Cons: it is difficult to choose the right size - universal for cats and dogs are available.
Price: from 300 to 480 rubles.
A rubber glove that is worn on the hands and also has a variety of teeth on its surface. It does not comb the hair, but massages the skin of the pet and draws out dead hair. The quick grooming tool is convenient to use during cat shows.
- Pros: reduces shedding time, improves blood circulation.
- Cons: use only in conjunction with other tools.
Price: from 300 from 450 rubles.
The tool from the arsenal of professional groomers resembles a small rake with frequent cloves. There are different widths (classic and deluxe), with short and long teeth. Beneficial effect on the condition and health of the coat. It is indispensable during seasonal molting, reduces the number of hairs falling out, and gently removes dead undercoat. Do not use in cats with warlocks and in the presence of irritation and damage on the skin.
- Pros: durability, efficiency.
- Cons: the complexity of the application - you need to read the instructions and learn how to use, high cost.
Price: from 600 to 2500 rubles.
Tool with bent stainless steel teeth for combing tangles. To increase efficiency, the cleaver is cut, and then combed with a cleft cutter. For greater efficiency, the instrument is treated with a special spray before the procedure.
- Pros: curved blunt teeth do not injure the skin.
- Cons: high price.
Price: from 460 to 1100 rubles.
For the beautiful shine of the short hair of animals, natural silk or suede is used at the end of grooming.
How to comb a cat
Each type of wool is combed in its own way, choosing the most suitable tools for this.
But there are a number of rules that all cat owners must follow.
- Start the procedure when the animal is completely relaxed.
- Be patient. Not all pets approve of this procedure. A kitten can be distracted by a toy, and an adult cat should be encouraged as often as possible when she behaves well.
- Movements should be slow, gentle, along the entire length of the body of the animal.
- First, movements are made according to hair growth, then against hair growth. This helps to collect as much as possible all dead villi.
- In the process of combing, often clean the tool (comb, brush, mittens) from accumulated wool.
- Especially carefully you need to comb out those areas to which the cat can not reach on its own: ears, withers.
- Always begin the procedure with tools with rare teeth, moving to combs with more frequent teeth.
- To permanently remove dead hair, at the end of combing, swipe the animal’s coat with a soft suede or wet hand. This will give shine to the coat.
If more than one cat lives in the house, each pet must have its own grooming tools.
Video - rules for combing cats:
How to comb a shorthair cat
For cats of short-haired breeds, you need a comb or comb with short teeth and a rubber massage brush (mittens).
- You need to comb in the direction of hair growth from the scruff to the tail. The tail is combed out last.
- After that, carefully comb the comb side of the cat, slowly moving to the stomach. If the animal does not mind - comb the hair on the stomach.
- Listen to your cat - if it allows you, comb it against the hair.
- Complete the procedure with a massage rubber brush (mittens). Moisten it first to remove all dead hair.
- At the very end - you can polish the suede wool or draw it with a wet hand to completely clear the fur coat from the fallen hair.
How to comb a longhair cat
Grooming long-haired beauties will need more tools. This is a comb or comb with rare teeth, a brush with metal teeth, a comb with rotating teeth, a slip (slicker), koltunorez, furminator, rubber brush (mittens).
- Begin combing with a rare-tooth comb to straighten the fur.
- After that, comb with a brush or comb with rotating teeth from head to tail. Movement should be neat, but strong. You need to move in the direction of fur growth.
- Next, go to the armpits and stomach - there are longer strands of wool. Gently comb tangled hairs and tangles. To work with warlocks, use a warbler.
- In conclusion - stroke the cat in the direction of hair growth with a rubber massage brush or a mitten dipped in water. This will clear the pet's fur coat of all fallen hairs and give it shine.
When grooming, always brush and brush off the hair.
How to train a cat to grooming
There are a few simple rules:
- Start accustoming a kitten or adult as early as possible - from the first days a pet appears in your house.
- Choose the right moment - the animal should be relaxed, calm and in good mood.
- Do not go with a comb to a cat who has just eaten or woke up - this is not the right time for grooming. It is better to comb the animal before feeding, after the procedure you can offer your pet a favorite treat.
- Set the cat in a convenient place - comb it well on the windowsill, it is light there, the animal is limited in movement. And you will not need to bend over.
- Stroke the pet, talk gently with him. Let him understand that you do not want to do harm.
- Let the animal smell and examine the grooming tool - the pet must understand that this is not a dangerous thing and get used to it.
- Be careful but persistent. During the training period, carry out the procedure at the same time every day - the animal should get used to this procedure.
- Never force a cat, do not hold it by force - this will scare the animal, cause a negative reaction.
- Start grooming from places that cats love to touch: neck, behind ears, cheeks, chin. Only after that, carefully move to other places.
- Movements should be smooth, not too strong, careful.
- It is best to start training with a massage mitten - most animals are loyal to them. When the pet gets used to it, move on to other tools.
- At the end of the procedure, each time gently praise the cat and give her a favorite treat - the pet will associate combing with pleasant things.
Never scold or scream at the cat if she resists and avoids the comb. You can’t comb out a cat with force!
From what age to train a cat to comb out
Kittens are taught from childhood to get used to combing. Do it in a playful way. The best time to learn is 5-7 months. At this age, cats have their first molt.
How often to comb out
It is advisable to perform combing once a week in shorthair cats. However, if you are the owner of a long-haired cat, it is advisable to carry out the procedure 3-4 times a week.
During active molting, the procedure is repeated 2-3 times a week for cats with short hair. And for long-haired fluffy beauties, daily grooming is required.
What to do if a cat vomits with hair
The combing is carried out also so that the cats swallow less dead hair during licking, they do not form bezoars (lumps of wool) in the stomach and they do not burp with foam after the wool is full. Excess hair in the digestive tract leads to a deterioration in the condition of the pet, lethargy, and a decrease in appetite.
To help the cat and solve this problem, you need to comb the animal more often, use specialized feeds, germinated grass (oats) and malt pastes.
Read more about using wool paste.